Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Vintage Hutch in Cream and Green

This was a piece I refinished custom for a client last week. It's a nice solid pine hutch from about 1985 or so. It's well built but was pretty homely and dated. The client had a great vision for it though, and I went about recreating this ho-hum hutch into a farmhouse modern showpiece.
          First I prepped the case for paint. I removed all the hardware and the glass in the top doors, which I very very carefully set carried into my workshop and stored. I sanded, stained, and sealed the top, eliminating some pet damage in the process. I sanding the case to ensure proper paint adhesion and then custom mixed and antique cream color for the exterior and purchased the green for the interior, mixing both into chalk paints. I painted the all but the backboard in the cream, it took four coats and the dentil moulding was desperately tedious. I painted the backboard in the cheerful green. I then distressed the case and sealed it with my own homemade dark wax, reapplied the hardware, and very very carefully for the glass back in the doors.






No comments:

Post a Comment