Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Solid Maple Farmhouse Sideboard

I've been working on a lot of elaborate furniture lately, slick mid century modern pieces, and fancy fine Federal furniture (say that five times fast!). And so it's kind of a relief to work on a lovely straight forward piece of classic American farmhouse style furniture.
       This solid rock maple cupboard likely dates to the 1960s. It features a stunning highly figured top with thumb molded edge, paneled doors, and bold ogee scrolled feet. It's so handsome and so versatile. I've seen these pieces used as sideboard in a dining room, countertop and storage space in a kitchen, as a media console, as a bedroom dresser, as a sofa table, as an entryway piece, and even as a bathroom vanity.
        I wanted to lighten the cupboard up a great deal to break it free from that tired and dated caramel stain that every single one of these maple pieces had originally. I sanded the top and stained it in American Oak for a warm and bright honey tone. I painted the case in a custom mixed soft but energetic blue that I've named 'Bonnie Lass'. The interior is in the palest shade of dove gray. I swapped the drawer pulls out for a matched set of simple burnished copper knobs.












No comments:

Post a Comment