Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A Mahogany Vanity in Deep Blue

I purchased this fantastic antique mahogany vanity and matching tall chest from a lovely friend on Sunday. They're so spectacular that I simply couldn't wait to get started on them. I knew as soon as I saw both pieces what color I wanted to paint them.
        I custom mixed this shade, 'Deep End' to be a stormy, dare I say ominous color to balance the restrained Grecian inspired lines of the piece. It's Federal in form but second period c.1920-1945, and absolutely flawless. I picked out all the fantastic molding detail with a paler blue, liberally distressed, and sealed with a dark wax. I sanded, stained, and sealed the spectacular figured mahogany veneer top, which is without scratch or ding. Almost one hundred years and the top is flawlesssss. I kept the original oval stamped brass pulls because they compliment the piece perfectly.








No comments:

Post a Comment