Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Sideboard Inspired by a Barn

I love driving around the countryside in Connecticut. Even in the worst weather it's beautiful in a wild rural way. As you may know, I'm an old house junky, and a large upside to picking up and delivering furniture is getting to admire all the gorgeous antique houses this wonderful state has to offer. Last week I drove by an early 19th century Greek Revival house with the prettiest old barn next to it. It was painted in a faded emerald green which was both unexpected and absolutely breathtaking. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to paint something that color. Since I had this sideboard in the back of my truck at that very moment, it seemed fitting that it be the chosen piece.
        The sideboard is vintage maple, the bottom half of a hutch. The top was seriously uninspired, and went straight to the fire pit. I added a pine top to give the piece a more rustic look to play off the green. I sanded the case, applied the custom mixed green chalk paint, distressed a bit, and finished with a dark wax. The draw pulls are antique pressed brass and salvaged from another antique piece, then re-colored in a soft copper.









No comments:

Post a Comment