Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mahogany Sideboard Transformation

     This c.1940 mahogany veneer sideboard is part of a dining set that I picked up a couple weeks ago. I knew as soon as I saw it in person I knew that this would not be one to sell, this was a keeper. I've been hoping to upgrade the antique dresser in the master bedroom that's been serving as impromptu tv console for far too long. This sideboard was exactly what I'd been searching for.
       I sanded, and sealed the top. That wonderful rich color is the natural tone of the mahogany, made all the more brilliant by the addition of the polyurethane. The piece is painted in a custom mixed shade of pale green. I used a new glazing technique to give it just a hint more depth, and then distressed the raised moulding to further play up the handsome form. I adore the drawer pulls, which are original. They delightfully oxidized and the patina compliments the paint color so nicely.

      So before I show you the piece- here's the spot where it's going:

The fact that the tv is wider than the dresser it's on at the moment is...embarrassing.

Before

And after!















5 comments:

  1. Beautiful makeover - love the color and the wood top and it has just the perfect amount of distressing! It caught my eye over at the Furniture Feature Friday party.
    Marie @ The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Transformation--Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2/28/2014

    What paint color did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2/28/2014

    I really want this! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a mahogany hutch I want to refinish, but my husband can't stomach me painting mahogany wood. This makes me feel ok about it :)

    ReplyDelete