Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hidden Treasures

In my day job I work for an antiques firm that is itself almost an antique. The business was founded in 1920 by the current owner's grandfather. We've been in this location, an 1835 Baptist Meeting House, since 1949. 65 years is enough time for some very seriously fascinating things to accumulate. The fact that antiques dealers have certain hoarding characteristics helps this along. I've been working here for almost four years, and in that time I'd like to say that I've explored all the nooks and crannies of this building, and the mid 19th century home we own next door, but it wouldn't be true. I'm still almost daily discovering amazing things tucked away here and there. Here are some of my favorite little treasures. These are all things I'd love to take home and add to my own collection.


My co-worker recently found these adorable late 19th century glazed earthenware pig-form flasks buried in a box. I've been admiring them ever since. They're obscenely adorable, no?

This isn't really a hidden treasure as it hangs in the front hall of the shop, but I've always loved this painting.

This is what I'm giving my mom for mother's day. You love it, don't you mom?

These two paintings are hidden up on what used to be the choir balcony in the shop. I love them both. 

Just makes me long for Spring so much. 

An early 19th century hand painted screen. Very delicate and feminine.

This mirror is in the basement. I will buy this someday. I'm determined. 

Many many years ago we had an in-house cabinet maker and this was the stool he used in his workshop, which was in the basement of the shop. I love that buttercream yellow color.

I'm always lusting for the chestnut bottles in the shop. Most were made at the Pitkin Glass works in East Hartford, Connecticut between 1790 and 1820. Here's a nice graduated set.

These two oil on artist board animal studies are in a bedroom in the house next door. I'd really like to add them to my collection of Antiques of the Artist. Click that link to check out what else is in the collection currently. 


An entire box of antique glass stoppers. Who knows why. But they're fun and interesting!

This adorable curly maple chest with turned legs and reverse graduated drawers is hiding in the house next door too.
Very cute.

Also hidden next door is this bent wire fireplace fender. It's so unique and pretty as a piece of sculpture!

1 comment:

  1. Well, you just solved why I've wondered a time or two why you know so much about antiques. Now I know! I love the cow illustrations as well, especially the one on the right.. Very much as a matter of fact. How much is it? The landscape painting you really like -- the second one? I think you should get it. It's very lovely.

    ReplyDelete