Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Solid Pine Shaker Style Sideboard

This sideboard matches the dining set that I just refinished, though it doesn't have to go to the same home. The sideboard has wonderful solid straight lines that reminded me of the shaker furniture being made in the 19th century. I decided to refinish it with that in mind. I painted the case a fresh white and sanded, stained, and sealed the top. I swapped out the drawer pulls for authentic antique 19th century turned wood knobs with their original finish. I'd salvaged the knobs from an antique dresser and had been waiting for the perfect piece to use them on. I left the interior in it's gorgeous pine because it was just so pretty and contrasted well with the white exterior. The piece is 100% solid pine, even the backboard is pine boards. I went ahead and finished it on all sides just in increase the usage options for the piece (you could use it as an island too!). I'm really really fond of this sideboard :)
This one is going up on craigslist so feel free to email me if you're interested.
Before and afters below~















2 comments:

  1. Found you from the link party at MissMustardSeed! Great job with this sideboard, it looks so professional! How did you refinish the top? Did you sand it down totally and restain it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Camilla- I love your blog! I did indeed sand the top, then minwax stain, then polyurethane. I don't like working with furniture strippers, and prefer to sand all the wood surfaces that I refinish.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete