Wednesday, June 5, 2013

An Oak Pedestal Dining Set with a Modern Twist

This is my 50th dining set. Hooorray! Wow does time fly when you're having fun! I picked this dining set up a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to get started on it. It's the best pedestal dining set I've worked on. I'd say it dates to about 1900-1910. The chairs and table are all original to each other. The table has the most exceptional developed base with bold lion's paw feet. Even better, the lip under the table top is elaborately carved, complimenting the delightful carving on the backs of the press back chairs. The chairs are also top notch examples of the form, with incredible turned spindles, and large tablet backs with very fine floral carvings. I painted the chairs and table base in a jet black. I wanted the set to have a more modern feel than some, to balance the historic nature of the elaborate carvings. Rather than doing a traditional dark wood tone, I went with a fresh pickled oak stain, then high gloss poly. The top is flawless, and I really like the pickled oak stain, will definitely be using it on other table tops.
The table is 48" in diameter and includes another 18in leaf. I only have a snapshot of the chairs from when I picked them up- so no complete "before" shot.





























3 comments:

  1. Your bouquet is lovely. Thanks to Erin for giving us a push toward bringing in flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iris and peonies! What a great combination and I love the casualness of the Ball jar. Just perfect. Nice furniture set too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The side detail is amazing! Congrats on the big 5-0 :)

    ReplyDelete