Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Barn board topped desk

I picked this beautiful solid maple desk up while tagsaling on Saturday. I made quick work of it because I was so excited to see the end result. I added an antique barn board top. The boards are 19th century, beaded tongue and groove chestnut, salvaged from a barn in Colchester, Connecticut. They have a soft glow that only 100+years of aging can bestow on a wood surface. The desk came pre-sanded (hurrah) which saved me a time consuming step. I painted the case a soft blue gray and then highlighted the paint with first a clear furniture wax and then a tinted wax to give the desk depth. Finally I removed the boring vintage drawer pulls and replaced them with gorgeous 19th century stamped brass pulls. Before and afters below. This one is available, so let me know if you're interested!










2 comments:

  1. This desk is just great!! I love the two tone! You've got skill! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kayla! It was so much fun to work on!

      Delete