Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Rock Maple Desk

Maple is such a wonderful wood to work with. It's beautifully grained, always sands easily, and takes stain so nicely. I scored this wonderful solid rock maple desk two weeks ago. It probably dates to the 1950s or so. It has wonderful lines, and just needed a bit of a facelift. I painted the body a warm linen color, sanded the top and stained it with a mixture of colors until I got just the perfect tone. I waxed all the painted surfaces, then buffed them, to give the piece a soft sheen. This one's available, so let me know if you're interested!
Befores and afters below :)










4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/27/2012

    Awesome transformation! Really love the stained wood with white pieces these days. Visiting from MMS. -Angela @ Mrs. White Twig and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the two toned stained wood and paint look this is very pretty!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice update! You're right, maple is such a nice wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comments! It was a fun project to work on!

    ReplyDelete