Saturday, March 3, 2012

A lovely black dining set

I picked this set up off craigslist a few weeks ago. It had great lines and everything was as solid as a rock...rock maple in fact. I loved the dining chairs- those brace back windsors are so handsome. The set dates from the 1940s or 50s and is in perfect condition even after all these years. I've been admiring solid black dining sets on various blogs for a while, and thought that would be just the ticket for this set. Black high gloss paint (three coats) and then a wax finish.
Here's my before and after- and some other ones that inspired me.
I thought about sanding and staining the top but I wanted to try something new. Look at how much less faded the two leaves in the center are compared to the rest of the table top!

Before- the chairs are a little blah- no excitement

via

via

via

via

And here's the finished set- So fresh and bright and beautiful! I think it would look gorgeous in an antique home- white walls and a bright vase of orange tulips on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment