Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A smashing kitchen island

Oh I miss the flea market- and warm weather like today's makes me downright PINE for it. On one of the very last flea market Sundays of the season last fall my little sister and I scored this fantastic antique workbench. It was structurally in great shape, and had an amazing surface of chippy paint (green over a creamy white). I finally got to working on it a few weeks ago- and actually bought a new toy to tackle it - A heat gun! I was able to strip away all the paint on the surface, and then sand and stain it. I think it turned out goooorgeous, and after stripping away the layers of paint, I realized that the top was actually two old barn boards that the gentleman (or lady) who built this must have salvaged.  And now they're the icing on the cake on a beautiful one of a kind kitchen island. That means that those boards are on their third use through life - barn- work bench- kitchen island, and if that's not green, I don't know what is! I sanded the legs smooth and then painted the a bright white. Check out the before and afters! This island is up on the Eastern Connecticut craigslist now, if you're interested in buying it!





No comments:

Post a Comment